Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Another Good Kilt Blog

I like to collect URLs for kilt blogs. I found this one the other day:
http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com

This one belongs to Matt Newsome. He is the director of the Scottish Tartans Museum in Franklin, NC (USA). Their website: http://www.scottishtartans.org/

I have known about the museum for a long time but did not know Matt had a blog. One of these days I want to visit the museum but I digress. He has a lot of good information on his blog. I like topics related to the history of the kilt. I have been trying to get my head around this for a while. Anyone that wears a kilt for more than just a Celtic or rens fest will get plenty of questions on the kilt. The questions end up leading to kilt history. There is a lot of miss-information out there. I know I have absorbed a lot of miss-information and I try to purge the BS from my brain with true information when I can find it. The trouble is trying to determine what is real and what is not. Here is a good place to start. Read the section with the label of mythbusting. Matt covers many of the common errors I find concerning kilt history. I enjoyed reading his blog about the Irish and kilts. This one hits home as I have been asked if I was Irish more then Scottish when I have the kilt.

Check out this blog. There is a lot of good information on Tartans and other kilt related topics.

I found this quote on his site that I think is very appropriate:

Advice for every kilt wearer
"The Highland dress is essentially a 'free' dress -- that is to say, a man's taste and circumstances must alone be permitted to decide when and where and how he should wear it... I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed." -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

If you have any favorite kilt blogs pass them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are for advertising or links to other sites will not posted.