Saturday, September 8, 2012

I had an opportunity to attend a week long kilt making class. This was for the traditional hand-sew kilts. This was my first attempt at making a kilt. There were a few mistakes in it but overall it turned out ok. The main problem I had was getting the width of the pleats correct. They taper from the hip up to waist. I got the hip width correct but by the time I sewed up to the top of the kilt I let the narrower measurement at the waist get away from me. Ended up with little taper. So over all the waist was too big. I have the straps pulled in all the way. Have to wear a belt with this one. The material I used on this one is 13-oz wool in the Earl of St. Andrews tartan. I have a full 8-yards in this thing. The sett size was 5-1/4" so I doubled that when I folded the pleats. Skipping a set to get deeper pleats. This is pleated to the Sett. I have other tartan material to make more kilts. So I will try to learn from the mistakes in this one to improve the next one I make. Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket